My name's not important

I'm really late to jump on the bandwagon, but I've been too busy designing the fjords for Earth mk III to blog...

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Grenoble Museum

Giorgio VASARI 'Family of Saints' c1541-47

Yes, I think it's that Vasari - bitchy writer of 'Lives of the artists'. In the collection there are two pieces illustrating the supper Christ ate at Emmaus, a particular focus:



Mathias STOMER 'Supper at Emmaus' c1600-1650









Laurent de LA HYRE 'Supper at Emmaus' 1656

Okay
, there's more I snapped at Musee de Grenoble from Renaissance through to 19th century I can post another time. From the past 100 or so years...

If you thought 'Picasso' you were fooled like I was. In fact, it is Karl HOFER 'Portrait of Alfred Flechtheim' 1922. How wonderful! Here is a real work by Picasso:

Pablo PICASSO 'Woman Reading' 1920

and another, later in his career:

















Pablo PICASSO 'Musketeer & child' 1972




There are one or two paintings in the museum by several other 'megastar' oil painters of the last century:
Henri MATISSE 'Interior with Aubergines' 1911

And now for some painters I've never heard of - yet remind me of others that I know and admire:

Francois DUFRENE 'Nabis-bis'
( translation: Dark-twice [?] ) 1960













Jean DUBUFFET Passe Flux (L 50) 1984

I can't help but think of Scottish-born, long-term Australian resident artist Ian Fairweather when I see these pictures. The second painting here, by Dubuffet, also evokes work by Australian Indigenous painters like Emily Kame Kngwarreye

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home