My name's not important

I'm really late to jump on the bandwagon, but I've been too busy designing the fjords for Earth mk III to blog...

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Movies on the plane I

The Devil wears Prada:

Really clever - but sort of predictable. I kept thinking of 'Coyote Ugly' meets 'The King and I'. A dewy, optimistic newbie takes a job out of desperation. On the way, newbie-with-heart-of-gold gets stressed, shocked, in over their head, nearly loses the love of their life, then emerges on the other side a better person. More worldly, less naive, ready to pursue their dream career with new insight and loads more cunning. Well, that's 'Coyote Ugly' and 'Devil Wears Prada'. Both these films have Australian-born eye candy: C.U. has Adam Garcia and T.D.W.P. features Simon Baker.

'The King and I' and 'Prada' have similarities in their demanding central character. T.K.&.I. has Yul Brynner in this role while T.D.W.P. has the versatile Meryl Streep. In the true situations that inspire these two stories, I think that the living person is far nastier than the films can allow us to see. The King of Siam was probably a lot worse than the film can show; while nobody has dared print any real revelations about the 'ice-queen' editor of US Vogue magazine, but Lauren Weisberger has tried to capture Anna Wintour's essence in the book which became the film, changing the name of the feared person and the revered publication.

I enjoyed it but I think it could have been a lot bitchier than it was. Probably too watered down and nice to become a classic in the eyes of the gay community.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home